Important Note:

As of April 1, 2013, the Board of Referees and Umpire levels of appeal for Employment Insurance (EI) Commission decisions were replaced by the Social Security Tribunal. If you disagree with an EI decision, as a claimant, employer or other person who is affected by the decision, you have the right to request a reconsideration.

If Service Canada makes a decision on your application for EI benefits that you do not agree with, such as benefits being refused, a request for repayment of benefits, or a warning letter has been issued or a penalty imposed, you can request a reconsideration of that decision. This process is mandatory prior to lodging any appeals to the Social Security Tribunal General Division.

An employer can also participate in this process and request a reconsideration if benefits are being paid to an employee who quit their job, was fired for misconduct, refused to work or is in a labour dispute. An employer can also request a reconsideration if a warning letter was issued to them or a penalty was imposed.

Requesting a reconsideration

Learn more about why you might choose to file a request for reconsideration and how to submit it to Service Canada.

What happens when I submit a request for reconsideration?

Once Service Canada receives your request for reconsideration...

Appealing to the Social Security Tribunal

Get information on the options available to you if you do not agree with the decision made following the administrative review of your reconsideration.